Romina Russell is the author of the Zodiac and Wandering Star. Her books are set in the universe with the idea and concept from the Zodiac Signs.
Romina Russell is a Los Angeles based author who originally hails from Buenos Aires, Argentina. As a teen, Romina landed her first writing gig—College She Wrote, a weekly Sunday column for the Miami Herald that was later picked up for national syndication—and she hasn’t stopped writing since. When she’s not working on the ZODIAC series, Romina can be found producing movie trailers, taking photographs, or daydreaming about buying a new drum set. She is a Virgo to the core.
- What was the hardest part on writing Wandering Star?
The hardest part to write of Wandering Star was the sequence of scenes on Equinox, when Rho and her friends come face to face with the Marad. I wrote those chapters in one sitting, at full speed, and I never once looked back until the whole draft was done!
- How did you came up with the title and the concept of “Wandering Star”?
The publisher actually came up with the title! They needed to name the sequel before I was finished writing it, so we threw around some potential ideas, and we liked this one the best.
- If you are going to cast the movie of your own book, who is the lucky celebrity to portray Rho, Mathias and Hysan?
I would travel back in time to the following actors’ teenage years: Chase Crawford for Hysan, Ian Somerhalder for Mathias, Keri Russell for Rho.
I love the casting!
- How come you are so beautiful?
Awww, you must REALLY want a Z3 ARC… 😉
OHMYGOD. I would love to!
- What are the books that influenced you to write a fantasy novel?
HARRY POTTER IS LIFE. That series awoke my imagination, and I will be forever grateful to JK Rowling for how much she’s inspired me (and the world)!
I think it’s about time to continue reading Harry Potter series.
- If Stanton tease you, who would it be? The Cancrian or The Libran? Being as Romina Russell from House Virgo not Rho from House Cancer, who would you choose over the two males?
As for which guy Stanton would choose…I think deep down he’d rather see Rho with a Cancrian, so he’d probably go w/ Mathias, for now… As for my own choice, I will reveal it when Rho makes her decision! 😉 I have to have my girl’s back! ❤
God, I need to know!
- Who inspires you to write the character of Sage Ferez, Miss Trii and Lord Neith?
Sage Ferez is based on my amazingly wise, generous, and honorable grandfather, who was also a Capricorn and who passed away while I was writing Wandering Star. Miss Trii and Lord Neith are fun to write because they’re outsiders—since they’re not human—and therefore they have the ability to view our species from an outside perspective. I think I have an easy time relating to them because I never feel like I quite fit in anywhere, so I’m always analyzing things from the sidelines.
- I’m really curious with this one, why is the color of the House Ophiuchus is white?
White is the color that contains all others, and House Ophiuchus represented Unity; therefore, the 13th constellation’s color is an amalgamation of all the Houses.
- Name ten favorite food that you could eat even if you are full.
Dark chocolate, black olives, chips + salsa, gnocchi in a cream sauce, salmon/shrimp/yellowtail sushi, warm chocolate chip cookies, avocado, artichoke, vanilla chocolate chip ice cream!
+ my very favorite food—dark chocolate covered strawberries! 😉
Dark Chocolates are love.
- After the Zodiac Trilogy, will you be writing another novel in the Zodiac Universe or another different novel? If it’s another different novel can you tell something about this book?
There will be four books in the ZODIAC series—Z3 comes out this year and Z4 next year! There’s always the possibility of writing more stories set in that universe, but for now, I want to return to a novel I’ve been working on for ten years that I really believe in and want to see published one day. ❤
You surprised me with Z4!!! I’m going to wait for like another 11 months, then another 11 months. Waiting is fine because I know that it will be worth it!
- Can you share us one happy snow globe (memory) of yours in your early childhood?
My family immigrated to the United States from Argentina in 1990, when I was five years old. Since I didn’t speak any English and didn’t know anyone, I was terrified for my first day of kindergarten—but the moment I entered the classroom, worry gave way to awe. Everywhere I looked, there were colorful paper hearts and chocolates and candies, and my classmates kept giving me cards and treats. I came home in a delighted daze, carrying my treasures, gushing to Mom about how wonderful this new world was—how its people were so happy to have me among them that they threw a huge party in my honor! She didn’t have the heart to explain that it was February 14th…Valentine’s Day.
I love your Mom! This one makes me smile. 🙂
- What made you belong to the House Virgo?
The fact that my sign perfectly describes me! I am totally OCD, controlling, fastidious, a complete perfectionist, etc…and I also like the way House Virgo is governed — Empress Moira only has two rules for her people: Everyone must contribute in some way to growing grain and no Virgo may interfere with the pursuit of happiness of any other.
Empress Moira’s rules rocks!
- Okay, So, I watched your San Diego Comic Con 2014 Interview and you mentioned Benedict Cumberbatch. If you are given the chance to do three things to Benedict Cumberbatch, what would it be?
Hahaha! I’d record him reading the ZODIAC series because he has such a great voice!
I couldn’t agree more!
- Name five favorite books in no particular order.
House of Mirth, Anna Karenina, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Great Expectations, Harry Potter (whole series)
I. NEED. TO. READ. THEM.
- Favorite Quote from Wandering Star?
One of them is: “When we pass judgment, we hit a dead end. When we analyze something with an open mind, we can explore a concept into infinity.” -Ferez
Thank you so much Romina Russell for giving me a chance to ask those questions! I’m forever grateful to you.
Check my Book Review of Wandering Star, here.