The 37th Manila International Book Fair has come to an end! It is definitely a worth remembering with its annual event where bookstores, organization, publishers and even authors are gathered and invited in one place. Hosted yearly at the SMX Convention Center near SM Mall of Asia with the purpose of expanding the literature in the Philippines and to showcase the different largest, varied collections of different types of literature from academic readings to fiction to magazines and newspapers! And with that, let’s start my recap!
I have to emphasize that before the actual #MIBF2016, I don’t really have the chance to go to the event and then, unexpected things and turns that made me go which is indeed in my favor! You may think it is luck or a curse but it is definitely worth remembering!
You wouldn’t imagine how the day wanted to stop me from going to the convention. Kathleen Alvarez and I planned that we are going to be there at the first day of the event. Fewer people, less toxic, right? But things are really difficult, I have to meet with my brother which I asked for a reschedule because, “Hello? MIBF!” then after three tries of really going there, a heavy rainfall just crashed us after our morning class. Imagine, how our hearts being torn apart just by looking at the sky! Anyway, after an hour of waiting, the rain has subsided. If you were on my feet, you will think that the heavens are toying with us!
Long story cut short, we did go there! So, our initial plans are to visit every booth from end to end horizontally — Yep! We did it and my friend, Kate, keeps on buying things! You wouldn’t imagine how heavy her tote bag is with the huge amount of books, freebies, and things! I went there for that day to investigate and explore what was more to come and I vow to help some Filipino Authors if ever I come on their way! My feet hurts!
On the National Bookstore booth, I couldn’t imagine how awestruck I was! I saw Jiggy Manicad, GMA News reporter, having a book signing which I didn’t really go through since I don’t have the means at the moment. Anyway, I stumbled upon on Zig, Faber Castell, and Stabilo which really caught my attention because I’ve been so inclined with Calligraphy, Lettering or just writing.
Anina Rubilo was introduced there by Zig which she showcases her painting skills and Marjorie Nievas from Stabilo was also there for portrait lettering. I was attracted to them, their works — their arts are just awesome as them! And since, I am really fond of Calligraphy Brush Pens, I bought some! And when I was in line, I remember that National Bookstore has a contest on Twitter which you will say a secret phrase to the Customer Service. I was so eager to finish buying my pens and went to the Customer Service but I have to wait, just wishing that I will get lucky to win an ARC!
And this is where all the my “lucky charms” started. Yep. You didn’t have to guess, I win an Advance Reader’s Copy of Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge! It was a fun-filled experience since I got to see which books that I am going to buy when I go back on a different day. I went home with happy feels because winning a book, having a good company who really loves books too, going home with Calligraphy pens and a most valued experience is a win-win for me! Thank you, Katie, for the thrilling and exciting experience to be with on my 1st day of the 37th Manila International Book Fair!
At 3AM, Eriele from This is Not Your Book Blog sent a message finding someone who to be with to go on the next day of the MIBF — Yep! I went with her. It is so perfect. Why? My professor just posted that we don’t have any classes in the morning and my classes in the afternoon don’t have attendance. It is perfect. So much luck on my end. I already posted this on my Facebook Profile but here’s the summary of what happened that day.
- I went with Eriele and we were there for like 10:15 AM.
- Head over to National Bookstore Booth and we won an Advance Copy of The Stranger Game by Cylin Busby. Thank you to National Bookstore Team and Epic Reads for an Epic Contest!
- I already bought Calligraphy brushes on Day 1 but it doesn’t stop me from buying more! Loving the shades of blue.
- I got to meet Inah from The Bibliophile Confessions, Hazel from StayBookish, and Joshua from PBFU Family. It was for a moment but I really like it when I am meeting people who also a bookworm at heart
- After another day of fruitful Manila International Book Fair with Eriele, I decided to travel to the province since I have no classes the next day. Yep. I’m happy to be back home and spend my time with foods! I even bake Bread Pudding which I don’t know if those people I’ve given with, appreciates it.
- While traveling for 3 hours worth of a bus ride, I decided to read Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur, which really caught my interest since every flip of the page is so painful that I can’t contain my feelings. Anyway, my book review will be up later this week. If you have time, please visit my blog!
- You just don’t know how lucky I was when that day I also received a package from Penguin Random House! Thank you Penguin Random House! The parcel contains Miss Peregrine’s Journal for Peculiar Children, Peculiar Photos, an Advance Reader’s Copy of History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera and a personal note for me. Thank you Penguin Random House!
- Aside from the parcel which I received from PRH, I also received an envelope contains a signed Earth’s End Bookmark and Air Awakens bookplate from Elise Kova! Thank you, Major Kova, my Dragon Queen!
- So, I posted some of this on my facebook and after posting that I am feeling blessed that day. Guess what?! My luck is not yet done! I checked my Instagram and holy shit, guys, I won not just one but THREE Advance Reader’s Copy from National Bookstore!! I know that NBS really loves me. I love you too, guys!
I didn’t go. Obviously. I spend my time catching up with my high school close friends by chilling under my ceiling.
This day’s book buddy and MIBF company is no other than JM from Revelations of a Bookfreak! We had so many plans to meet before this and we didn’t get a chance since our schedules are restricted. Finally! We had a chance to talk about books and books alone! When we finally reached SMX Convention Complex. We didn’t expect the huge amount of people lining up for the 10AM opening of the Fair. It was overwhelming and happy because there are so many bookworms wishes to attend an annual event.
- Fast Forward. We lined up. Enter to National Bookstore booth. For the 3rd time! I won a copy of an Advance Copy of Be Good Be Real Be Crazy by Chelsey Philpot. Same goes with JM! Again, huge thanks to National Bookstore and Epic Reads!
- After receiving the prize, I also took this chance to claim my prize from National Bookstore Instagram contest. I received an ARC of I’m Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil which JM insisting to buddy read with since he also has a copy, an ARC of Pushing Perfect by Michelle Falkoff and Another ARC of The Stranger Game by Cylin Busby which I gave to a huge fan of mine, Danica from The Hogsmeade Reader. Yeah, I know. You are a fan of mine. Don’t you deny it!
- After JM and I received our prizes, we met up with Hazel from Staybookish! We stroll around the booth and JM bought a lot of books on his list. Imagine, how happy he was when he also found a copy of It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. It was pure happiness!
- Then, we went to Fullybooked to browse some titles and I figured it out to treat myself a book since I’ve been winning since forever. I bought JM’s recommendation which is Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon, Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton and The Inquisition, second installment of Summoner by Taran Matharu. Yep. I’m a happy kid. I just wish Ate Jen doesn’t found out this one because I’m keeping this from her.
- We received a Sneak Peek of Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth from Fullybooked. Many thanks, Fullybooked. Loving their bookmark too. I hope. I’m really hoping that I could win their raffle!
- We waited for Ate Jen and she texted me that Edgar Samar, A Filipino Author of Janus Silang was at Adarna House and signing books! Good thing was that the booth was near! I immediately bought his books and have them signed. He was kind and approachable. Didn’t expect that he has a friendly aura on him.
- I also met Dhon from PBFU Family and Liz from Booksigning peeps. Again, huge thanks to Dhon because he gave me a copy of Jennifer Niven’s Ada Blackjack! I can’t thank you enough Dhon!
- My friends knew that Ate Jen from Unromantic Girl went to Jakarta last July if I was not mistaken and as amazing as she is, she bought me a copy of Local Books in Jakarta that was translated into English. The books are Dewi Lestari’s Supernova and Nh. Dini’s Departures. Thank you, Ate Jen!
- Contented as I was, JM and Hazel told us that they will go to the book signing of Morgan Matson in Glorietta. I can’t go because of life. Ate Jen and I decided to eat. We went to D’ Angelo’s and have their best Pesto and Meditteranean Pizza and I’m loving it!
This year’s MIBF is really satisfying, fruitful and loving it. It doesn’t fail to give me pure happiness when it comes to books. I love my experience as I love last years’. Now, I’m really looking forward to 38th Manila International Book Fair!
So, that’s the end of my 37th Manila International Book Fair Recap! If you were wondering why there’s no Day 5, it is because I didn’t go for some reasons. We all have fun, didn’t we?
Tell me. How was your Manila International Book Fair experience? Is it amazing as I’ve experienced thus far? What books did you buy? Comment down and let me know!